Welcome!!

Hello All, and Welcome to my Criminal Justice Study Abroad Blog!! (Wow that was a Mouthful!!) I will attempt to keep as up-to-date with this blog while overseas as possible!! We leave for London, England on May 8th... I, along with my Mom and Uncle, will be in Ireland the Weekend of the 13th-15th... Return to London for the week... & Head home to Nebraska on May 22nd!! I have never been out of the Country so I'm Super Excited for this Adventure, and Happy to Share it with All of You!!

Ready... Set... ADVENTURE :)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ohh Lovely London...

     So this week has gone by so fast!! I can't believe it's already Thursday! This week we've done and seen a lot including New Scotland Yard, The Magistrate Courts, Old Bailey Crown Courts, and Wormwood Scrubs prison, all of which were fascinating. Old Bailey was especially exciting because of the Pomp & Circumstance surrounding their court room proceedings... The Barristers (like lawyers, but not quite) and the Judges still wear wigs... Which cost them anywhere between 500 and 2000 Pounds (which with current exchange rates is more like 750 to 3500 Dollars!!) Wormwood Scrubs was also interesting because their prisons are not like ours. For starters, there is no difference between jails and prisons like we have over here, so in one prison you can have criminals awaiting trial, serving a two month sentence, or incarcerated for life on a murder charge. We got a glimpse into one of the cells and to be honest it looked more like a dorm room than a jail cell, there was a TV, a playstation, books and magazines, and food stocks all over.
    
     But of all the things we've seen this week nothing could top the experience this morning... We had the honor and privilege to watch the Changing of the Gaurd from INSIDE THE GATES of Buckingham Palace!! Literally the Gates of the Palace were opened so that we could walk through, into the Forecourt of the Palace while the hour long production of the Changing of the Gaurd happened 15 feet away!! It was a Once in a Lifetime Opportunity that I will never forget and am so grateful to be able to share that with my Mom and Uncle as well! It still seems so surreal! So, now that I have updated you all I will end there because my Mom and I are off to see Wicked in the West End!

XoXo,
Kelsey Corinne


No comments:

Post a Comment